March 7, 2011

Brown Sugar Oatmeal Cookies

IMG_2644.2


I love cookies. I love making them and I love eating them. When a batch is baking in the oven and I'm scooping cookies for the next, I always feel like I'm on a mission or something. I have to do it fast enough that when the cookies are finished baking the next batch is ready to go in. If not, I feel like everything in my life will go wrong. Does anyone else to this?

Anyway, among all the cookies I've baked, this is the favorite of my friends. They're always asking me to bring Oatmeal Cookies. It's chewy and soft plus all the brown sugar just makes it so tasty. Annnd if you make it with half whole wheat flour it's kinda healthy.


IMG_2648.2


We're out of whole wheat flour and I used quick-cooking oats instead of rolled and the cookies are still wonderful. I made about 5 dozen cookies.

Brown Sugar Oatmeal Cookies
Makes 4 1/2 dozen cookies

1 3/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups old-fashioned oats

Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, beat brown sugar and butter with electric mixer on medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally, until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and eggs until well blended.

On low speed, beat in all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour and baking powder, scraping bowl occasionally, until well combined. Stir in oats.

On ungreased cookie sheets, drop dough by heaping tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart. Flatten cookies to about 1/2-inch thickness.

Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks.

2 comments:

  1. Baking cookies makes me feel like I'm a mission too. These look really good! I have so many containers of oats in the pantry, it's not even funny. I might have to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these into bar cookies today. These were clean out the pantry cookies! I used instant oats, an extra egg, and 1-1/2 cups of mix ins. My kids are going crazy for them! http://kmarkners.blogspot.com/2011/03/oatmeal-bar-cookies.html

    ReplyDelete